Thursday, August 19, 2010

Recent Reading

Between book club choices, friend recommendations and random garage sale purchases I've been reading a lot lately. A wide variety keeps it exciting!

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - fabulous! Composed completely of letters between the characters it's a new twist on storytelling. Set after WWII in Europe, fun characters! We're discussing next week at book club.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire - intriguing, good plot twists! And I always love series because I hate leaving characters behind when a book ends. Hope to read the 3rd book soon!

And right now I'm reading The Pillars of the Earth. Not a new book but popular (perhaps accredited to Oprah adding it to her book club list). It's just shy of 1000 pages - a big undertaking! Set in 12th century England, winding through 20 years of intertwined characters and stories. It's my dad's favorite book of all time and has been recommended by a couple friends so when I saw it at a garage sale for $1, it seemed like a good time to take on the beast. 240 pages in and I'm enjoying it! It's very reminiscent of The Mists of Avalon, a 900+ page book about King Arthur that we had to read for freshman english. Who knows, maybe I'll be equally inspired to take on its sequel!

1 comment:

KMW said...

Pillars of the Earth is good, if you can skip the 4 or 5 pages where he goes into detail about the building specs. :)
I loved the 'Girl' books but the first one was so violent- are the rest? But I really love her character. :)
Can't wait to read the others- thanks Dana!