Sunday, September 20, 2009

New Job!??

Lately I've had the opportunity to coordinate a lot of volunteer events.

My team at work put together lunches for a local homeless shelter back in June. We recently decided to do it again. I was lucky enough to be able to coordinate the shopping, lunch-making, and then I got to go do the delivery. It's pretty humbling to see the shelter and to learn that if volunteers don't deliever lunches, the residents go without. (They are served breakfast and supper but aren't provided lunches unless they are donated). And for less than $1.50/lunch we provided a sandwich, chips, fruit and cookies. I think of all the small things we take for granted - coffee date with friends, an afternoon snack, lunch out - and how just a portion of that money can make such a difference to someone else.

I've also been able to coordinate a silent auction at work with all proceeds going to the United Way. We have some very talented and creative team members so we'll have some really neat things to auction. The auction is on Friday and I'm hoping we make a lot of money for such a good cause.

Ryan and I also recently decided that we'd like to give back in other ways. I've previously volunteered at Feed My Starving Children and really enjoyed it. I sent an email to a bunch of our friends and, amazingly, despite everyone's busy schedules, there will be 20 of us going there on Ocotber 6th. We'll be packaging nutritious meals to be sent all over the world. I'm really excited to be able to bless others while enjoying the company of our friends.

Now if only I could quit my job and do this all this coordinating full time!!

.

No comments: