Tuesday, September 7, 2010

VCBC: Past Staff Edition

We spent the last weekend of August at Village Creek Bible Camp for the Past Staff Retreat. Ryan grew up going there and then was on staff in high school. I've come to love camp in the few trips we've made there. You may remember we were there in February for a retreat with our church - no crazy horse adventures this time!

We headed up Thursday after work and stayed through Sunday around lunch. It's a gorgeous drive once you hit southern MN - unfortunately, it was dark by that point on the way down. I did get some great views on the ride home (before falling soundly asleep for the rest of the ride - I'm terrible company in the car!)

While at camp we hiked up to Pulpit Rock and some of us did the multi-vine course. It's a cable strung between a cliff and a tree, about 60 feet above the ground. There's another cable about 10 feet higher with ropes dangling about 8 feet apart. We worked our way across, moving from one "vine" to another. They had recently loosened the cable to make the course the course the most difficult it had been. There was one point in the middle where I thought for sure I'd fall - it felt like ages that I was swaying back and forth unable to get my balance. The view from the tree at the other side was gorgeous (I may have been able to appreciate it a bit more had I had a little less adrenaline coursing through me!) Once we made it across we were eased down to the ground. When I got back to Ryan my hands were shaking so bad I couldn't get out of my harness. Totally worth it - a fun adventure! Ryan wasn't up for it but he did snap a lot of pictures!


Enjoying the new swings!


Heather and I all helmeted up and ready to go.


A few steps into my journey across.


Working my way across.


Made it!


Heading down.


Ryan enjoyed the bungies on the trampoline.


I enjoyed playing with beautiful baby Caris. (she's Ryan's second cousin once removed if we want to get all technical!)


Ryan and Eli.


Iowa countryside.





My chauffeur (and a filthy car!)

.

No comments: